Types of Wrist Watch
Watches may all have the same basic function but they are not all the same. Some people simply choose a watch that they like the look of and use that to tell the time. Others will use their watch for different functions. Let's take a look at some of the different types of watches available:
- Fashion watches - fashion watches are chosen for the way that they look or for their brand. Some watches here will simply offer a time-telling facility whilst others will offer other features. Basic fashion watches are often the cheapest models on the market.
- Luxury watches - many well known watch makers together with modern day fashion designers produce ranges of luxury watches. These watches can cost anything from a few hundred pounds through to hundreds of thousands.
- Digital watches - digital watches became very popular in the 1970s and 1980s. These watches did not have traditional watch faces but displayed the time in a computerised LED type format. Watches here can also come with additional functions such as calculators and stop watches.
- Children's watches - there are all kinds of children's watches in the sector from basic models that teach them how to tell the time through to character tie-ins that come with special features and functions.
- Multi-function watches - multi-function watches will offer more features than a standard watch. The features you get depend on the watch you buy. So, for example, you can buy multi-function watches with calculators, video games, digital cameras, computers and GPS receivers built in.
- Specialist watches - there are also various kinds of specialist watches that can be used for specific activities. For example, divers can buy water resistant diving watches, astronauts use specialist watches and pilots can use watches with features specially designed for their job.